Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Google Plus

Ask Louise

I am residing in Dubai under my husband’s sponsorship and would like to secure my own visa, as he is based outside of the UAE. I work in the Travel & Tourism industry. Is there any freelance visas whereby I could sponsor my 16 year old daughter? What kind of costs are we looking at, if it’s at all possible? Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your question. Our immigration department has done a lot of research into this matter and they confirmed, as per UAE rules there is no Freelance Visa. You should have a sponsor as a company visa. You can sponsor your children once you get your residency visa and employment visa.‎

Please see the below list of Free Zones they contacted and were advised that they do not provide Freelance Visas:

  • RAK Free Zone
  • DIFC Free Zone
  • Dubai Silicon Oasis
  • Jebel Ali Free Zone
  • Dubai Internet city
  • DMCC Free Zone

Please note Dubai Media City can offer Freelance Visas but for certain categories only, for example: artists, editors, directors, writers, engineers, producers, photographers, camera operators, graphic designer, actor etc.

I also contacted Al Rowaad Advocates & Legal Consultancy who answered as follows:

Freelance visas do not exist in Dubai, however you can secure your residency visa through any freezone or local company. The license from the freezone or local company will enable you to carry out a variety of activities and will enable you to secure your visa and sponsor your daughter. It is important to clarify exactly what you will be doing within Travel and Tourism for us to advise you on the most suitable legal structure. The best thing to do would be to come for a consultation and we can advise you on the details.

4 Responses to “Ask Louise”

  1. Sajith Vasudev - HR/Recruitment Professional says:

    It’s true that Dubai Media City offers Freelance Visas. They offer Freelance Visas for a few more professional categories other than the ones you listed above.

    Trainers in the Travel, Tourism & Hospitality sector also get Freelance Visas from Dubai Media City.

    Dubai Media City allows those ‘Freelancers’ to ‘sponsor’ their dependents ( Kids/Spouse/Parents).

    This allows you to sponsor your 16 year old daughter as well.

    I hope you have the answer now!


    Sajith Vasudev

  2. Louise says:

    Thanks Sajith for this very useful information.

  3. Feefee says:

    You can also try Virtuzone- very affordable and helpful. Go to

    Best of luck!

  4. Shehnaaz says:

    I work as A freelance Tourist Guide, licenced with Dubai Tourism.

Leave a Reply

Meet the team

Move One in the community

More Video Guides