Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Google Plus

Ask Louise

My friend recently moved into a villa but had a problem getting their DEWA because they did not have any Title Deeds for the property.  Is this common?

Many tenants are currently facing difficulties when applying for new DEWA connection. DEWA requires only the TITLE DEED as proof of ownership and are not accepting Sales Agreements or Affection Plans any more. Title deeds are applicable for Free Zone developments. However, for areas like Bur Dubai, Mirdif, Jumeira, Umm Suqeim, where foreigners cannot purchase property, only locals and GCC nationals, there are no Title Deeds, only affection plan exists, and DEWA accepts this.

In case your landlord does not have the Title Deeds he/she has to apply for same at Land Department, and provide you the tenant with proof of submission (DEWA will accept this on some occasions) as Title deed issuance takes 2-3 months.

It is worth noting that properties located in DIFC do not have title deeds, they have to register lease with DIC registrar (360 AED) and with that paper can go and register DEWA.


Leave a Reply

Meet the team

Move One in the community

More Video Guides