How to Handle a Traffic Accident
The unfortunate reality of driving in Dubai is it is highly likely during your time here you will have to deal with managing a traffic accident. The following are key tips to making the process as seamless and stress free as possible. If you are involved in a traffic accident and no one is injured and the vehicle damage in minor, move your vehicle to the side of the road in order to avoid blocking traffic. Note that the car repair companies cannot accept an order without an accident report so you must call the police. If the other driver drives off without stopping and waiting for the police, go straight to the nearest police station and file a report.
If you are not at fault you will be given a green form to take to your insurance provider. If however you receive a pink form this indicates you are the party at fault. If your car is damaged while parked (if you notice scratches on the side while parked at a shopping center, for instance, call the police if the damage is bad, or go to the nearest police station to file a report. You will be issued a certificate called a damage report. The cost is AED 50 which you can then submit to your insurers. It’s best to do this as soon as possible after noticing the damage.
• Carry at all times you valid driver’s license and vehicle registration card.
• To report an accident call Dubai Police Operations at 999.
• The police will document all details and give each party a copy of the accident report.
• If you receive a pink form you are at fault.
• If you receive a green form you are not at fault.
• You will need to submit the accident report to your insurance provider in order to repair the vehicle.
If necessary, you can contact a recovery company to tow away your vehicle. Here is a listing:
Dubai Recovery Companies:
• AAA Service Center 04 285 8989
• IDubai Auto Towing Service 04 359 4424
• IATC Recovery (800 5200)