Parking in Dubai
Finding a place to park on the streets in Dubai can be a little daunting when you first arrive. Side street parking is permitted but paying an hourly fee is required. When you park you need to find the nearest orange parking sign indicating the parking zone. Fees are charged by the hour and require a payment in dirham coins or one can pay by phone.
The Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has introduced the mparking system which allows Dubai residents and visitors from other Emirates to pay for public parking fees via SMS from their Etisalat or du mobile phones. The main benefits of this service are that you don’t need to have dirham change handy and you can renew the time for parking without having to walk to the parking meter. Dubai registered vehicles can use the service immediately while vehicles registered outside Dubai require sign-up first at the mparking website: www.mpark.rta.ae. Dubai registered vehicle owners may also sign-up on the mparking website to fill in details of their vehicles and obtain short names which will make the process even easier. In addition, here are some key tips on getting around in Dubai.
• Locate a public parking area.
• Look for the parking sign with zone. The number is located at the bottom of the parking sign.
• Determine how long you need to park for.
• Note your plate number or if you have signed up on the mparking website then recall your vehicle’s short name.
• Create a new SMS to 7275 (PARK) from your mobile phone.