Useful Apps for Living in Dubai
Dubai now prides itself on providing many home grown apps and in recent years the government have also produced many useful apps for the services they provide to the community.
The benefit of apps is you can download them before you arrive, helping you be that little bit more prepared for life in Dubai.
Below is a list of apps to get you started.
This is a really useful app as it eliminates the need to search around your car for coins when you need to park plus when you are parking for an unknown amount of time it reminds you when your ticket is about to expire and allows you to extend it from your phone wherever you may be.
Users simply send an SMS in a pre-defined format to 7275 (PARK) thus eliminating the need to walk to the Payment Display (P/D) Machines and search for coins.
In order to make the SMS format easy, registration will be not be required for Dubai registered private plate numbers starting with the alphabet character A-K & M whilst all other motorists who own a non Dubai private registered plate number MUST register to use the mParking service.
This app lists the health services, details of visiting doctors, and the ability to search for information based on location and speciality.
Some of the highlights are the ability to view lab results and make appointments, register as a blood donor and access information about active blood donation drives, track vaccination plans for children and view medical evaluation records and related prescriptions, X-rays, lab results, etc.
This Bi-lingual universal application offered by DEWA to its valued Customers and Consultants to benefit from variety of smart services, including View & Pay monthly bills in real time, tips and videos to optimize electricity & water consumption effectively, enable new customers to easily activate the electricity & water supply at the time of move in to new premises, navigate toward DEWA service centers and nearest payment channels, and much more.
RTA Dubai is the RTA’s mobile interactive based application for Dubai, which includes a list of services designed to support roads and public transport users.
Main features included:
– Madinati Mobile: with this service, you can report violations or defects in the roads to RTA directly from your mobile device.
– Providing the nearest service center and metro or bus station location.
– Facilitating the use of mParking Service.
– Taxi booking service.
– Fare calculation for NOL card users.
– General Dubai’s POI listing, including Shopping Opportunities, Tourist Places, Health Facilities and more
– Practice RTA Theory Test, aims to familiarize student drivers on the Dubai RTA Theory Test.
– Renew and Apply for Parking Permits.
– Top up NOL Card and get the transaction history.
– Book for the Water Taxi Service.
– Al-Hares e-Services, provides a secure and confidential channel to the staff of RTA and users to report any violation related to corruption.
– School NOC Service, allows schools and nurseries based in Dubai to check the request status for the NOC issuance from RTA.
– Bids Announcement, allows companies to find the Announcements of Bids/Public Tenders by the RTA and view the conditions respectively.
– Fines Enquiry and Payment
– Online Plate Number Auction Enquiry
– RTA Directory of Services
Always useful when you are in a new place.
International phone calls can be expensive in Dubai and you will need to stay in touch with friends and families back home
Provides various services by Dubai Police, including
- Pay your traffic fines
- Report a crime
- Tells you what pharmacies are on duty
- Critically ill Patient Service (Allows patients with critical condition to register their details, location and health condition for emergency respond by the authorities)
- Police Station location & contact details
Useful for getting access to business addresses, phone number, fax numbers, websites, and email addresses. Has the ability to save in favorites or directly on to your contacts.
Great app for staying up to date on all the events happening in Dubai
Private taxi companies. Download the app and enter your credit card details. When you require a taxi tap the app and a taxi will be sent to you. You will be given ‘real time’ information via GPS as to where the taxi is, your taxi driver and the the license plate number of the car. Once you have completed the journey an email will be sent to you telling you how much the journey was the amount is debited from your card.
Entertaining in Dubai can be expensive but it doesn’t have to be with The Entertainer Book. This 2 for 1 voucher book has been around for many years in Dubai filled with hundreds of money saving vouchers for dining, leisure and entertainment venues in Dubai. The Entertainer now offers an app alternative to the book so when you install the app you have all the vouchers on your phone meaning that you don’t have to carry a big bulky book of vouchers around with you. Search on the app for your favourite restaurant, wellness or leisure establishment and check if they have a 2 for 1 deal and if they do when you come to pay just redeem your voucher via your mobile device.